Saturday, August 10, 2013

State of the Collection Part 4


Today we look at the random conglomeration of games that I have stored with other things.  For instance, I have my Carcassonne game in a tackle box with some other items in tackle boxes and other odds and ends, so that will be part of the miscellaneous groupings.

Ratings are out of 6.
1 - Ready to trade/sell
2 - Considering trading/selling, willing to give another chance
3 - Might trade/sell, not my favorite, but has a time and place to play. Perhaps is around more for others than myself.
4 - I like the game but there's something that stops me from liking it more.  Maybe I don't get to play it often enough, maybe there's a minor irritation with some rules or the way something works.  
5 - I enjoy the game. It works well in most situations. I would be hard pressed to let it go, but it could happen in the distant future.
6 - Love the game, keeping it, never letting it go.



  • Forbidden Island - 2.  The components are fantastic, but the game just isn't that challenging for a group of gamers.  I'll gladly break it out with casual gamers or a family, but it's losing the appeal for me.
  • Nefarious - 3.  I've only played the game once, and that was on "easy" mode, so I'm still reserving full judgement.  The game involves building all these cool mad scientist concoctions, but nothing in the game makes me feel like a mad scientist.  Really, the game comes down to action speculation, which is ok, but I'm not sure that's really worth a whole game.  I don't really know, this really needs another play or two to see what happens.
  • Zooloretto - 3.  Much like Aquaretto, Zooloretto offers players the chance to build a zoo.  This has some additional buildings which add variety in how you score points.  I appreciate Zooloretto having established areas for animals 
  • Aquaretto - 4.  I have to start by saying that this game is around more for my sister than anyone else.  That being said, I really do like the placement rules.  The game revolves around building a water park for animals, think Sea World.  There's a lot of back and forth in the game, as well as many opportunities to mess with other players.  When the game is over, it is fun to look at what you've built and imagine going to the park.
  • Bisikle - 4.  This is almost more of a toy than a game.  Essentially, you build a track, flick a ball around it, and race to see who can finish the course first.  There is some decent dexterity to the game, and certainly room to improve how you play.  I like the game, there's fun in the box, and it's something I can bring out with non gamers and they'll have a good time.
  • Blokus - 4.  I really like puzzles, and spacial reasoning, so I tend to do well in Blokus.  I'm not trying to brag, especially since I've lost this about as much as I've won.  Blokus is one big puzzle with multiple people fighting over a limited board size.  Planning ahead is not only encouraged, it's almost necessary.
  • Fauna - 4.  Yes, this game is about animal trivia.  Yes, that theme sounds super boring. But it's not.  There is actually a game here in terms of trying to maximize your cube placements, knowing when to keep playing and when to pass.  It's not a great game, but to me, it's solid enough to keep around.
  • Life: A Jedi's Path - 4.  Yes, this is a mainstream themed version of life, but the game really does play differently.  Players are trying to gain skills in 4 different areas, and each area might be needed on various missions/challenges.  In the end, it's a 2 player showdown of light vs dark for the title of ultimate Jedi.  The game has flaws if you play by the exact rules.  I've made a few modifications and I've really started to enjoy the game.  I don't play it often, I think it's been 2+ years, but it's one I'll play with the right group of people .(read Star Wars fans)
  • Sorry Sliders - 4.  Have you ever played or seen Shuffleboard?  If yes, then you essentially know how to play Sorry Sliders.  If you haven't, it's easy.  Slide a token with a ball bearing down a track, if it stays upright after all players have slid their pieces, then you get to move your tokens ahead.  Get all your tokens to home and you win.  Sorry Sliders is simple yet elegant.  It's a dexterity game, so no real high strategy, but there's a fun game here.
  • Alhambra - 5.  This is a fairly light tile game where you're also using money cards to buy buildings of various colors.  There are scoring rounds based on majority in different types of buildings.  It's not the most interesting theme, but the game has a certain appeal.  It's fairly simple and offers constrained choices on each turn.
  • Carcassonne - 5.  I know that I will never get rid of Carc, not because it's a great game, but because of how (mostly) easy it is to teach.  It really makes people think about how to manage a limited pool of workers, and maximize what each one can do.  The plus it that the game is about an hour, unless you make my early mistakes and add in 5 expansions.
  • Risk Legacy - 5.  This game makes me smile.  Ultimately it is Risk, but then it's not.  It turned Risk into a game with victory points, and a whole bunch of other stuff that makes it faster and more fun.  The only downside is that you have to play with the same group, and that feels like it's only going to become more problematic as time passes.  I may never finish this game, but it's fun every time I play it.
  • Star Trek: Fleet Captains (w/ Romulan exp) - 6.  I will buy every expansion for this game, even if I only get to play it once or twice each year.  The game is just that awesome.  I feel like I'm playing in a season of a Star Trek show.  Sure, it's some weird timeline overlap with Spock and Data possibly on the same fleet, but that doesn't bother me.  Each faction has immense theming and leads to completely different play styles.  There's so much to explore in this game and I feel like I've barely scratched the surface.
  • Star Wars: X-Wing - 6.  Yes, the game is lucky at times with dice.  I've won and lost games purely on how the dice go, but I've also won and lost based on outflying and being outflown.  This game is everything I want in a miniatures game: pre-painted, easy to teach, interesting squads to build while having limited options, and playable in 1-2 hours.
No post on Sunday, but I'll be back on Monday with Part 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment