Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Bits 1 - Why I don't like Magic

As a means of trying something different, I present to you "Bits" a series of posts aimed at discussing various topics in the world of board gaming.  These are going to be relatively short, likely to include a question, and really, they're aimed at getting some comments going.  Some may be controversial, but that's kinda the point.

Magic the Gathering has a consumer model that I don't care for.  I've never been big on playing CCG's.  I collected Star Trek CCG growing up, but I never played.  In my mind, Magic is a money pit.  Now, it's a very well designed money pit, but that just means that it can take more of your money.  I have a completionist (yes, I know this isn't a real word) mentality. It's the Pokemon syndrome (Gotta Catch 'Em All).  I'd go broke if I played Magic.  I don't want to be broke.  Ergo, I don't play Magic.  I'm sure you have your reasons why I should, or that "I can borrow a deck." Thanks, but no thanks.

I don't fault you for playing, but you won't get me to play.


5 comments:

  1. What are your feelings on Netrunner?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haven't played it. I'm more a fan of the LCG model since you know what you're getting.

      Delete
    2. Just checking back in to say that since this, I've picked up the Netrunner LCG. The gameplay's strong, of course, but I also have to note that many of the "Core-set" cards remain the mainstays of tournament-winning decks now. My own decks, for instance, are missing over 2/3s of the available cards, and while that means I have a some disadvantages, I've never feel totally outclassed because my opponent brought a "better" deck.

      Delete
  2. I agree that it being collectible is a deterrent. I used to play years ago and want to get one of those packs that have two decks in them that are balanced against each other. If I was to go back that is the way I would go.

    I enjoy your blog I read it all the time but have never commented. Thanks for all the interesting posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for taking the time to comment. I really appreciate knowing that people are reading.

      Delete