Sunday, December 15, 2013

The Best and Worst Games Played for the First Time in 2013

As I mentioned in a previous post, I put up the opportunity to guest write a post in the Jack Vasel Memorial Fund Auction on BGG.  Chaz Marler won one of the two opportunities  Chaz runs his own board game website/blog thingie at PairOfDiceParadise.com.  If you like what he has to say in this post, please go check out his blog.  We corresponded for a couple of days in early December to figure out what we wanted to talk about.  Eventually we decided on a best and worst games played for the first time in 2013 article.  This has a bit of back and forth with each of us talking about our games, then critiquing the other, and finally offering a rebuttal to any critique.  I hope you enjoy.

Chaz: Best Game that I played for the first time in 2013: Suburbia
It’s difficult to talk about Suburbia without making comparisons to the computer game Sim City. Both allow players to experience the nerve-wracking glory of building a city from the ground up, overseeing the growth of residential, industrial and commercial zones while balancing your city’s income, taxes and population. But while Sim City requires a computer to run it, Suburbia just needs… well, it just needs a copy of the board game Suburbia.

Now, I’ll confess that I’m a sucker for games with lots of pretty plastic pieces, which Suburbia lacks. That’s why, as a “Component Proponent”, I initially thought that I wouldn’t enjoy this game very much. It’s a bit bland to look at. However, its gameplay more than makes up for it. The game pulled me in quickly, and I forgot about the lack of eye candy after just a few turns.

Suburbia’s gameplay can be a bit technical at times. Things to mange and cross-reference can start to accumulate on your turn. But, in my experience, this still doesn’t diminish how enjoyable and rewarding it is to play. How enjoyable? Enjoyable enough to be my pick for the best new game I played in 2013.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 
BoBG response: I had a chance to play this game in January, and I really enjoyed it.  I do agree with you that the components aren’t over the top, but everything is high quality and functional.  I haven’t played much Sim City, but I do see the comparison.  Suburbia is in my top 5 games played for the first time in 2013, so I completely agree with the choice.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 
Chaz's final thought: Awright! I picked the only game of the four that we both played this year! I think that means I win this article. What's that? This wasn't a competition? Well played, Montgomery. Well played...

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

BoBG: Best Game that I played for the first time in 2013: Star Trek: Attack Wing

I came to the game with mixed anticipation.  I knew it had potential with the Flightpath system, but I was weary of bringing in bigger ships to that system.  After playing my first 3 games, I was sold on the whole thing, and it’s turned out to be one of my favorite games, not only of 2013, but of all time.  I really enjoy the ability to mix crews and factions to make interesting fleets.  The organized play system is incredible for fans.  Really, the whole game feels like it’s paying homage to Star Trek fans.  
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 
Chaz's response: Oh-ho-ho, I'm jealous! Attack Wing looks really fun - in a strange way it reminds me of another game I grew up playing: Battletech. I've considered investing in this game more than once, but, so far, my wallet has been uncooperative. So, I gotta know, why did you chose this over Star Wars: X-Wing? Was there a rules variant you liked better in the Star Trek version? Prefer the Trek ship miniatures? Still bitter over that Greedo shooting first thing?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 
BoBGs final thought: I actually got to play X-Wing back in 2012.  The systems are similar, and I've invested into both.  As for which I prefer, well, you'll just have to stay tuned to my top games list in January.  Star Trek was my first sci-fi love.  It captured my imagination, and I really enjoy the whole universe.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

Chaz: Worst Game that I played for the first time in 2013: The Lord of the Rings Dice Building Game
Several years ago, a game named Quarriors was released. It was a new twist on the deck-building genre, in that the players accumulated dice instead of cards. I haven’t had a chance to play Quarriors, but the idea of a dice-building game intrigues me. So, when The Lord of the Rings Dice Building Game (or “LOTRDBG” because I’m too lazy to ever type that long title ever again) came along, I thought it would serve as a great introduction to the dice-building genre.

But no, I was wrong. So very wrong. And I was severely punished for my mistake. 

I’m sure there’s probably a fun game in there somewhere, but I fear I’ll never find it because LOTRDBG’s rulebook is nigh-incomprehensible. I can only assume it was written by someone who hates information. 

The rulebook also makes repeated references to the game Quarriors. It assumes that the reader is familiar with that other game, and that for some reason knowing the differences between the two are paramount to your understanding of this one. At first blush, riddling one game’s instructions with references to another one may seem unnecessary and even confusing; like making UpWords anecdotes while teaching someone how to play Scrabble. 

But I think it’s brilliant! In fact, I’ve started randomly throwing out references to other somewhat related things whenever I’m teaching anything to anyone. While teaching my daughter how to tie her shoelaces, I peppered her with facts about velcro and buckle fasteners. Sure, she eventually decided to just go barefoot, but think of all the trivia she now knows about footwear she’s never worn.

Eventually, a slightly more comprehensible rulebook for the game was published on BoardGameGeek.com, but I’m still too shell shocked by the first one to attempt trying to learn this game again.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 
BoBG's response: I haven’t had a chance to play this game, but I have played Quarriors.  From your description, I can’t imagine trying to learn this game from the rulebook.  I think it’s poor quality control, and general laziness to cite from other games that people may or may not be familiar with.  I don’t know if this is the worst, but it certainly sounds like a terrible experience and one that would turn me completely off of a game.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 
Chaz's final thoughts: I agree, because the experience has prevented me from taking the plunge into regular Quarriors. Every time I'm about to buy a copy, I'm revisited by the specter of LOTRDBG. Plus, I also have to stop and ask myself, "Do I really need another dice game? Don't I already have enough dice?" (Spoiler alert: The answer is no, you do not already have enough dice. One can never have too many dice. I am unsure how the human mind could even form such an absurd question. *shudder*)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

BoBG: Worst Game that I played for the first time in 2013: Ace of Spies
I backed it on Kickstarter, and I really thought it had potential.  The game just feels lifeless to me.  I’m collections and playing a bunch of cards.  There’s very little tension to the game, outside of wondering what terrible thing your opponent might do to you next.  The game is far too long for what it is, and on top of that, it isn’t engaging.  Ace of Spies took a wonderful theme and turned it into a snoozefest.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 
Chaz's response: Aw, that's disappointing to hear. I missed out on this game's kickstarter, so I haven't had a chance to play it, but it did look intriguing. From what I've heard about how the game plays, it sounds like it may be one of those where the enjoyment level may hinge on the personality type of the people you play it with. Do you think that it would be a more enjoyable experience if you were to play it against a different opponent? 
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 
BoBG's final thought: It could be the people I played with.  I think it has potential with a different group, but groups don't change the mechanics.  I have only played this once, so I'm willing to give it another shot.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

So folks, there you have it.  Those are some thoughts on some of the good and bad games Chaz and I played for the first time in 2013.  I wish we had a little bit more back and forth, like one of us hating a game that the other loved or vice versa, but I still think this is a quality article.  Big thanks to Chaz for donating to the Jack Vasel Memorial Fund and for coming up with a great article topic.  

No comments:

Post a Comment