Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Bits 3 - Too Many New Things

I feel jaded against all these new games.  I look at games that came out in 2013, and only a very small handful even interested me.  I think there are great games out there, but there's also a lot of mediocre games.  Case in Point: Firefly.  I enjoyed Firefly (the show and movie), I'd love to have a boardgame based on it, but the Firefly boardgame was nothing special.  It's a good pick-up-and-deliver game, but it's not great.  As such, I'm not buying it.

I think that we as gamers can be overly fixated on what's new and exciting.  I'm trying to be excited over playing the games I own repeatedly.  Repeated plays are where I learn new strategies and can try new things.  A game isn't much good to me if I only play it 2 or 3 times.  I've said that board gaming is a great hobby when it comes to cost because you can buy 5 games and play them each a bunch of times.  Buying a $50 game and playing it twice isn't very good value.

When new new new is pushed down our throats as gamers, good games suffer.  There's something to be said for playing 3 favorite games in a night, rather than 3 new games.  I still enjoy trying new games, but there needs to be a balance with old favorites.

All of that being said, I'm still going to buy new games, just not as many as I have in the past.

No comments:

Post a Comment