Friday, June 1, 2012

May 2012 Update

Welcome to June! And a happy birthday to me.

May was an okay for games, mostly because I'm still working on Star Runner (my game).  
If you're interested in providing feedback on the rules, send me an e-mail bitsofboardgames@gmail.com or a direct message on Twitter @boardgamer89  

The biggest news of the month was the second test of Star Runner, which was fun, but revealed several problems, the main one being that the game took 4 hours to play.  I've had a solution to make it faster in my head, so I'll be trying that out soon.  I did get a couple of game days in with the gaming family and my actual family, so that brought up the play total to 25. 
What did I actually play in May
The running total is now 118 which puts the projected year total at 277, which would be 22 plays short of my goal of 300.  (Looking at 2011, my highest set of 4 months of plays was April-July, so plays pick up with summer.)  The good news is that I'm in LA right now, and I have a game day scheduled for Saturday, so that should be a great pick-up.

I need to get in 33 plays in June to get back on track.  It's a daunting task, but possible.

I acquired two new game, Lost Cities in a trade, and Tsuro from my FLGS.  I've already played it 9 times, and it's turning into a favorite.  Also a big kudos to Tabletop, which is Will Wheaton's show on boardgames which can be seen every other Friday. Link to their Youtube site.

My unplayed game count is now at 16 since I haven't played Lost Cities yet. 

  • Tales of the Arabian Nights
  • RoboRally 
  • ST: Expeditions
  • Zooloretto 
  • Coloretto 
  • Elder Sign
  • Lost Cities
  • Scrabble Slam 
  • Monopoly Express 
  • Clue Express 
  • Battleship Express 
  • Crappy Birthday
  • S'quarrels 
  • Risk 2210 AD (Risk Legacy takes precedent)
  • Settlers of Canaan (no rush since I have other means of playing Catan)
  • High Bid 


May saw no reviews whatsoever.  I'm really sorry about that.  I've been busy with life things, though it's not an excuse.  I've tried to provide some other excellent content.  I talked more about Star Runner, did an interview with Peter Olotka of Cosmic Encounter fame, talked about the importance of Theme and Mechanics in games.  I also had my friend Chris, come on and talk about Magic.

Here's my review queue for June-August
  • Star Trek Fleet Captains
  • Lemonade Stand
  • Pizza Theory
  • Tsuro
  • Shadows Over Camelot
  • Scrumbrawl
  • Fauna


State of the 2012 Resolutions
  • Play every game I own that I've yet to play at least once (Current count is 10 16) 
  • Finish Risk Legacy (15 plays total, meaning 11 to go) 
  • Log 300 game plays not counting expansions.  114/300
  • Trade/give away the games I won't ever play - Looks DONE for now.
  • Introduce at least one new person to Cosmic Encounter - DONE
  • Organize a micro tournament of Dominion with my friends, most likely online.  DONE
  • Finish design work on my own board game design and start playtesting by June.  SOMEWHAT DONE
  • I will also predict that Eminent Domain will be my most played game of the year.  - VERY WRONG
Game plays in 2012 are
Scary Tales - 14
Pizza Theory -10
Cosmic Encounter - 9
Tsuro - 9
Eminent Domain - 4

The final item of note.
I'd like to start a new segment with some guests.  Now, no one famous at first, but that gives you, yes YOU, person reading this blog a chance to come on and talk about games.
We can do a review of a game we've both played, see the Battlestar Galactica review I did with my friend Josh.
We can talk about a type of game (dice, word, puzzle, co-op, etc.)
We can talk about gaming in general, see the article Chris wrote on Magic the Gathering.
So, what should you do?
Send me an e-mail (bitsofboardgames@gmail.com) with what you'd like to do for an article, and I'll do my best to make that happen.  It may take a little while to get it together, but I think getting some reader input makes things more fun.

Thank-you all for reading and comments.  You keep me energized to post articles, and continue talking about games.

No comments:

Post a Comment